Vice News Tonight Cancelled By HBO

HBO has now ended its relationship with the award-winning program Vice News Tonight.

The end of this seven-year partnership was announced on Monday.

According to an HBO spokesperson, the company decided against renewing their contract with Vice Media. “We’ve had a terrific seven years partnering with VICE Media, first with the weekly news magazine series and most recently with the nightly news show,” the spokesperson said. Vice Media has long been popular among millennials, and the addition of Vice News Tonight to HBO’s programming was greeted with great enthusiasm back in 2016. Since then, Vice News Tonight has gone on to achieve several significant awards for their style of in-depth, up-close journalism. The program has one four Emmys for their coverage of the “Unite the Right” rally, and one for their coverage of ISIS militants.

Vice Media has been going through a turbulent time, despite its long-running success. The Walt Disney Company wrote down its $353 million stake in Vice Media, as revealed in their Q2 earnings report. Vice Media laid off 10% of their staff in February, and the company has been restructuring its leadership for years now.

Regardless of their troubles, Vice Media has received nothing but highly positive feedback from HBO, and the company is determined to keep the news show going. “A daily VICE News show will continue and I’ll be able to share with you all the details in the coming weeks,” said Chief Executive Nancy Dubuc. Vice Media is also working on a news show to be aired on Hulu, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Written by  
1 week ago
Article Tags:
· · · ·