If you struggle to stay focused and get your work done effectively, you’re far from alone. There are plenty of simple ideas that are very effective in increasing your work performance. In the spirit of keeping things simple, here are some more productivity hacks that are easy to adopt, but often overlooked.
- We’ve been over this one before, but it’s worth mentioning again. Don’t try to multitask; research has repeatedly shown that it will just make you do each task more slowly and poorly than if you just deal with one task at a time.
- Disable your phone’s notifications. Now that we know that even seeing your phone can reduce your cognitive ability while working, it’s time to take advantage of these findings. Disable your notifications, or even leave your phone out of sight for bonus points.
- On second thought, just take the bonus points and hide your phone. Your boss will likely appreciate the results of this choice.
- Take a walk during break time. Walking around and having a quick chat with a colleague during break time can boost brain activity and thus productivity.
- Reflect on your progress. Instead of stressing over what’s to come, take the time to pat yourself on the back for how far you’ve come. Positivity beats useless stress any day of the week.
- Schedule some distraction time. Giving into your urges can actually be helpful in moderation, so take the time to pursue hobbies or other fun activities. It will also help you avoid burning out.
- Pack your lunch the night before. This will save you time and energy at work.
- Take a power nap. Even a short nap carries huge benefits for your cognitive ability.